Finding Balance in Emotions and Eating seeks to promote the development and maintenance of emotion regulation skills and healthy eating behaviors among people with eating and weight disorders. We are also interested in advancing basic science on the mechanisms of maladaptive eating behaviors among people with eating and weight disorders, specifically emotional, neurocognitive, and physiological mechanisms.
In addition to these interests, my current research examines relationships between emotion regulation and cognitive control variables such as inhibitory control and working memory in relation to binge eating among adults with overweight/obesity. The goal of this research is to further our understanding of emotion-cognition relationships that influence maladaptive eating behaviors, specifically binge eating.
I am also involved in several active research projects. For more information on these projects, please see below:
Finding Balance in Emotions and Eating
Principal Investigator: Abby L. Braden, Ph.D.
- Ecological Momentary Assessment of Emotional Eating (data collection)
- Live FReedom from Emotional Eating (Live FREE): A Pilot Study (manuscript in preparation)
- Emotional Eating and Disordered Eating: A Meta-Analysis (data collection)
Child Health Research Group
Principal Investigator: Dara R. Musher-Eizenman, Ph.D.
- Stigma about Picky Eating and Popular Dieters (revise and resubmit)
- Stress and Concern about Weight Gain Before/During COVID-19 Pandemic Relate to Eating Pathology in Caregivers (manuscript submitted)
- Negative Psychological Correlates of Parental Feeding Practices (manuscript in preparation)
- Picky Eating Facets, Negative Psychological Correlates, and Disordered Eating (manuscript in preparation)
Research Subcommittee, Diversity Committee
Faculty Advisor: Dryw Dworsky, Ph.D.
Chair, Research Subcommittee: Wesley R. Barnhart, B.A., B.S.
- Adopting an Intersectional Approach to Body Image, Disordered Eating, and Emotional Eating among Sexual Minority Men and Women (data collection)
LGBTQ+ Student Research Group
- #lesbian, #instagay, and #bisexual: Content Analysis of Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Instagram Communities (data analysis)
- An Examination of Bullying and Negative Mental Health Outcomes in LGBTQ+ Youth in Utah: A Test of the Psychological Mediation Framework (manuscript in preparation)
- Transgender Expression through Media (IRB approved)
Other Research Projects
- Scoring on the Iowa Gambling Task (manuscript submitted)
- Manipulating Effort on Cognitive and Behavioral Decision Making Tasks (manuscript in preparation)
- 2017 Youth Risk Behavior Survey: Weight Management Behaviors as Correlates of Weight Loss Intent among Sexual Minority and Heterosexual Youth (manuscript submitted)
- Psychosocial Correlates of Frequency and Enjoyment for Diverse Types of Pornography: Exploratory Analyses by Sex and Sexual Orientation (manuscript in preparation)
- Factors that Reinforce Idealized Male Body Image Relate to Pornography Use, Body Dissatisfaction, Disordered Eating, and Negative Mental Health Symptoms among Gay and Bisexual Men (project development)
- Bullying and Cyberbullying among LGBQ Youth: Examining Intersectionality with Latent Class Analysis (project development)